Saturday, April 27, 2013

Just for me

I merely started this to get my thoughts involving anything with a computer straightened out.  I find myself thinking about a million different things when I'm on the computer and unable to focus on a single task.  As soon as I get serious about one project or run into a wall I'll think of switching to a new thing.  I'm tired of this habit though and need to stop it.  Another issue I have is that I'll forget things I've learned a couple months ago and won't be able to find the online resource I used to learn it.  So for any readers out there this blog might be a slight bit useful to learn something computer related.

Currently I'm working on a meme website that's working off wordpress and is proving to be difficult at times.  Mostly because I'm not a strong php coder or really a strong coder in any language other than vb.net (which I've been scrutinized countless times for favoring so much).  My main problem at the moment is building a custom post type (for posting memes) that only allows the user to browse and upload an image, and post a small excerpt to go with it.  I was following this article: http://sicdigital.com/2010/07/create-custom-post-type-for-image-upload-wordpress3/

Step 2 in this tutorial makes no sense to me though because I don't know where to insert the dam code and probably aren't getting it because I suck with php (only really know the basics).  I posted a question on the article but I'm still waiting to hear back from the author.  Because I can't figure this stupid post format issue out I feel demotivated to even complete the css for the theme.  I'm currently also trying to picture a design for the theme based on the 9gag structure and themes I like off themeforest.  The theme base is _s theme from the themeshaper 2nd edition tut.  I've found that they organized the stylesheet in the theme and I'm going to try and figure out the structure of it so I can continue this organization.  One thing I need to do with my css/design is make sure it works for ALL browsers especially since this is a meme site.

I find majority of my time these days is wasted on that stupid game MapleStory.  I think the fact that people have actually earned some good money on this game motivated me to play it so much but the fact of the matter is that you need to: A) invest a lot of money into a character to begin with or B) get very lucky merching and make a lot of mesos quickly or C) get really good at making hacks for the game and sell those.  Otherwise it will take ages to get anywhere from scratch and waste time and money.  The whole hack making idea isn't all bad but I don't have nearly enough knowledge in C++/ASM to write really good ones easily.

So in some type of conclusion here are my short-term future plans so far:

  • Quit maple completely.
  • Figure out the structure of the css and post here about it.
  • If I still can't fix the post problem, try creating a design and coding it.
As for long term I have:
  • Become fluent in PHP & even better in js.
  • Become an expert in java (I'll be using it nonstop for college next year.)
It's 2am now and I have to get up in 5hours... fuck.  So I'm getting sleep and hopefully going to have any energy to get any of this done tomorrow.  I'll be especially drained since I've left all my homework for tomorrow too.  Oh and one more thing, I know this blog looks absolutely hideous, especially for a web designer, but this is just for venting/writing my thoughts down.  Looks aren't important at all here.

No comments:

Post a Comment