Sunday, April 28, 2013

The cost of running websites

Now I don't have a job at the moment because I'm just concentrated on school and building up a portfolio to and a good job in the future.  Because I don't have a job though I really can't go on wasting it on stupid things like websites.

For codepier.com I spent $45 on the theme, $10 for the domain and $10 a month for hosting.  For all the other domains I've spent a total of $30 and $100 on more themes.  I've been paying for hosting from hostgator for about a year and a half now and it allows unlimited domains & emails.  Altogether this adds up to be $365.

I do work for majority of my summer and that amount is a good chunk of what I make.  The real problem is I make $0 of these sites because I don't have enough content to provide or aren't motivated enough to make that content.

With my meme site project (memepls.com), I can make plenty new content and users can post new content as well.  The only problem is having queers post spam but I have a good amount of irl friends willing to be moderators for me.  Looking back at all of this I'm making the decision of closing all my sites besides memepls, and downgrading to the cheaper hatchling plan that only costs $4 a month.  I know theres cheaper but this is probably the most reliable.  And I'm perfectly fine with running my personal blog on something free like blogger ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment