Sunday, May 26, 2013

Working with wordpress again

Today I set up a new wordpress directory in my localhost and a new _s theme in preparation for a new  theme I'm working on.  Once I complete this I might have a paid gig or two in store for me but I'm unsure if they'll still be available by the time I finish this free one.

btw I downloaded _s theme from here: http://underscores.me/
And upon installing the theme I found that I needed to fix line 151 in the functions.php by adding a /* in  front of line 150.

Here's a picture of the design (I marked it up to protect from any rippers since it isn't coded yet):

Top menu (that stretches 100%) will be hardcoded with options (in the theme's options panel) to set the twitter link, and enable disable it or the rss feed, and a search bar will be floating to the right of it.  Then below there's a container containing the logo with the menu floating to the left of it.  Inside this white transparent container will be another container that holds all the content.

As you can see this template wouldn't be like a traditional theme.  Rather than having the latest posts as the main focus would be an A-Z index listing.  This will probably come in handy with coding that: https://bountify.co/a-z-index-listing-of-all-posts-and-pages-with-wordpress
Then there's the latest posts (or the post loop) underneath that only showing the latest 4 and separated into two columns.

The sidebar is separated into two columns.  The first widget, a chatbox, takes up both columns (code for this can be grabbed from somewhere).  Then there's the newest episodes (recent posts widget), popular episodes (this widget: http://wordpress.org/plugins/wordpress-popular-posts/), and the sponsored links next to both of these (http://wordpress.org/plugins/html-javascript-adder/).

The footer will also stretch 100% and will most likely be hardcoded because I'm looking to finish this asap.  It also has some weird watermark in the background.

This doesn't look very challenging to code but looks can be deceiving and only god knows what I'll find challenging with this in the near future.  I'm going to start the css from scratch (besides the reset css) so I know what's going on.  Tomorrow, as with all the other designs (only a couple really), I'm going to print out three copies.  One copy I'll mark dimensions.  One I'll mark padding/margins.  Another I'll mark html/php.

I'm looking to complete this in 5 days max.  For any readers out there, wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment